This last week I couldn’t invest much time in Panda Hell (~7h total) however I could move forward a bit in the A* pathfinding implementation , so enemies act smarter. At the moment the script analyzes the terrain that has been generated and sets a layer mask on top which differentiates the terrain in either walkable or non-walkable. You can see here the layer mask … Continue reading Panda Hell update #10: The wonders and miseries of not having enough time
Is Artificial Intelligence week! If I though the complexity of the procedural level generation was quite something, digging deeper into the basic AI development for the enemies has been also quite the endeavor. At the moment all enemies share an EnemyBrain script which follows few simple rules to interact with the user, in a nutshell is based on a “Wander, follow, retreat” behavior where the … Continue reading Panda Hell update #9: More art and enemy AI using the A* Search algorithm
The problem I see with games versus other types of software is that in games having a Minimum Viable Product does not mean much. While in other type of software you may have a working solution to a problem that’s normally enough to get a prototype rolling, and iterate on customer feedback, with gaming has never been enough, as this will not generate enough traction. … Continue reading Panda Hell Update #8: Minimum Lovable Product
Before going deeper into the new features I have added this week, here’s a quick video of the current status (captions pointing some features): Procedural generation script Last week I decided to take a detour in the current development and move from a random generated level system to a procedural generated one. I really believed this could take me at least a few weeks but … Continue reading Panda Hell update #7: Procedural level generation is live!
Well well, definitely is hard to calculate how much time a project will take, and even harder if it’s your first project. I’ve just realized that today I break through the first 100 hours in Panda Hell,that’s an average of 2.5h daily for the last 6 weeks, since I started the project. When I initially planned the time it would take me, I thought that … Continue reading First 100 hours breakthrough